Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.24.2006

Antiquities Chic





Frescoes shown above are from the exhibition In Stabiano: Exploring the Ancient Seaside Villas of the Roman Elite

Lately I've been thinking about all the Classical references popping up in the most fashion forward interiors -- the Greek key pattern, urns, objects in pairs and the use of symmetry. Like at the Viceroy resort, shown in the top three images above. Makes me wish I could take Art of Ancient Civilizations all over again.

So this weekend, I plan to immerse myself in some truly ancient resort decor by visiting the exhibition In Stabiano: Exploring the Ancient Seaside Villas of the Roman Elite, at Emory University's Carlos Museum in Atlanta.

Two thousand years ago, Stabiae was the premier seaside resort on the Bay of Naples, where Rome's power couples built palatial villas that epitomized imperial glamour. The exhibition In Stabiano recreates the atmosphere of these villas using 73 frescoes and household furnishings. I've heard the dining room installation is absolutely gorgeous.

No comments: