Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.19.2007

Books Most Seen




If there is a "top ten" list for books seen most frequently on coffee tables and shelves, in homes featured in all the various shelter magazines, I think Diana Vreeland's "Allure" and Osa Johnson's "I Married Adventure" must surely be the top two. Both are interesting books with highly decorative covers, so I see the appeal. Has anyone else noticed?

Allure is still available from Amazon but to find Johnson's book with the original zebra printed cloth binding, try eBay or Paris Hotel Boutique.

9 comments:

pinkmohair said...

Slick observation, Courtney. I will have to keep an eye out for this phenomenon. I would love to get my hands on these to have a look.

Alyssa said...

I worked on the re-issue of "Allure"! Great book.

The Peak of Chic said...

You're so right- everybody seems to have "I Married Adventure". Also, what about "Cabinet of Natural Curiosities"? That's everywhere as well (but I have to admit that I'm guilty of owning it!).

style court said...

Oh yes Peak of Chic, you are SO right about "Curiosities" !! But I all books three are great to own :)

style court said...

The commment above was supposed to read "all three books are great to own!"

ALL THE BEST said...

I thought I was the only one who studied the bookshelves and coffee tables of photos! I've even used a magnifying glass to identify book titles. A Chanel book always seems to be a popular choice.

ALL THE BEST said...

TPP--how cool to have worked on the re-issue of "Allure"! I want that job.

pinkmohair said...

Courtney, I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow just for an overnight. Any "must sees" in your opinion that you would recommend for furniture? I'm afraid "Pieces" might be a bit beyond the ol' budget.

style court said...

Pink,
I think you might enjoy two shops on North Highland Avenue, in an intown neighborhood that is about 10-15 minutes from the downtown area and/or the Buckhead area. One is Providence at 1409 N. Highland and the other is Armour and Co. at 1198. Another great place to explore is Interiors Market on Bennett St. in Buckhead, however the prices will be similar to Pieces.

Hope you have some luck!