Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.24.2007

Florence Broadhurst Book Update






Today, legendary Australian designer Florence Broadhurst is on my mind because I just received from Anna Spiro -- another spirited Australian designer -- the most generous and fun "design care package," which included a few Broadhurst fabric swatches.

In the last few years there has been a global rediscovery of Broadhurst's work. Author Helen O'Neill discusses this phenomenon in a book due to be released in the U.S., in April, from Chronicle, Florence Broadhurst: Her Secret & Extraordinary Lives. According to the publisher, this book combines lush images of Broadhurst's innovative, Asian-inspired fabric and wallpaper along with narrative about the designer's complicated life story.

To view a range of Broadhurst's patterns as well as home accessories made with her textiles, or to learn more about the eccentric designer, visit signatureprints.com.au. California retailer, Weego Home offers Broadhurst fabric stretched to be hung on the wall as art. Walnut Wallpaper, also in California, carries Florence Broadhurst wallpaper.

11 comments:

** Terramia ** said...

Oh, I just love your incredible finds!
Your blog is wayyyy too classy to insert a post on "weirdness"! (;

Alyssa said...

Beautiful stuff!!!

The Peak of Chic said...

Thanks for the book suggestion- I bet it will be an interesting read. She certainly had an unusual life!

style court said...

Anna Spiro says that every time she has the book in her shop, Black and Spiro, it sells out very quickly. (The book has been released in Australia a while now.)

Alyssa said...

I am definitely putting this on my wish list.

Anna said...

So glad you liked the package Courtney and thank you also for the mention!! Enjoy.

ALL THE BEST said...

Thanks for the book reminder Amy! She certainly lead an interesting life, that was ended my tragic circumstances. I once read the in the early 70s her wallpapers collections contained around 800 designs in eighty different colours.

ALL THE BEST said...

So sorry Courtney, I had just been to Amy's site...ooops!!!

style court said...

No worries ALB!

Anna said...

I might just add that it is believed that alot of her designs were done by other designers - this is not a well known thing and maybe false however, this is what I have heard and I suppose if this is true then that's where I loose my respect for her in that most people think that she herself did ALL the designing when it is possible that she didn't.

style court said...

That's a great point Anna!