Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.28.2007

Flower Overpower?





In the March 2007 issue of Elle Decor, a reader writes in to complain about the abundance of poufy flower arrangements that appeared in the magazine's November 2006 issue, such as those shown above in this gorgeous home designed by Miles Redd. The reader describes the flowers as "old-lady hairdos" that detract from the beauty of the rooms.

To me, peonies and hydrangea are lush and sensuous, and only enhance a well-designed room, so clearly I had the opposite reaction. In fact, I flipped for the top image here. It's funny how we all have wildly different reactions to design. Well, whether you adore or detest them, be forewarned, peonies are blooming all around in Michael Smith's March Elle Decor feature.

10 comments:

Amy said...

WOW!! all my favorite things in one posting! i love the orange and statue of mary blue together. and the BLACK and BLUE and IKAT chairs and PEONIES together....just divine. beauty on top of beauty.

Amy said...

WOW!! all my favorite things in one posting! i love the orange and statue of mary blue together. and the BLACK and BLUE and IKAT chairs and PEONIES together....just divine. beauty on top of beauty.

pinkmohair said...

Old lady hair? Well, I like it!

Fairfax said...

I have a large crystal vase that looks pathetic with anything less than a huge bouquet of flowers - usually three or four bunches makes it full and lush. There's a good flower market near me where you can get some good deals. Right now, it's full of paper-white blooming away.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you - - there is nothing prettier than peonies! does anyone know where I can get that little tray with the Asian gentleman on it?? thank you.

style court said...

Hi Anon,
The little tray that looks like an ashtray could be a John Derian -- but I'm not positive. There are other Derian trays in this house. I'll see if I can find out for you. Please check back here in the comments section. In the meantime, try johnderian.com
Courtney

style court said...

Hello again Anon, I checked the resources at the back of that November 06 Elle Decor and unfortunately could not find the tiny tray cited. Maybe someone else who knows more will comment here. Good luck!

Sara said...

The pink floral arrangement is especially beautiful... Something about the pale pink flowers bundled together in a cyndrical vase. The subdued pink flowers also work well in the room because the zebra pattern and blue walls are so strong. If anything the room if enhanced.

Anonymous said...

thanks for checking on the little tray!! -Denise

Amy said...

this is my other friend i come to visit...i absolutely ADORE this room.