Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.25.2007

Looking At Books


If you saw the December 2006 issue of World of Interiors, you know Andy Spade is a serious art collector. He is also drawn to books, especially those with graphic, intriguing covers, and he recently organized an exhibition titled "An Argument for Looking at Books Instead of Reading Them," installed at Colette in Paris, December 2006. The installation included a wide array of book jackets -- some taken from vintage art exhibition catalogs and others from rare editions. Images from the exhibition can be seen on the Kate Spade site in "Behind the Curtain."

A grouping of very vivid framed book jackets could be an interesting focal point in a home too.

8 comments:

Alyssa said...

I really wish I had taken pictures of my apartment when I lived in NYC. Talk about decorating with books! When I packed up to leave my mother said "you have books in every room"!

Anna said...

I love this idea of using book covers as wall art - great idea. Thanks for showing this SC.
Anna

Amy said...

andy spade exhibit is great! good post. also feeling the adler dog..

style court said...

Thanks Amy!

pinkmohair said...

Great post. I really am stuck by this book cover idea. I hate to say it, but I'm one of those people that does often judge a book by its cover. I got the Adler book for my birthday and was just getting ready to do a post on it. Every time I walk into my closet I think about how it would look with wallpaper (and I love how Holly at Holly's Plate put that chandy in her closet.)

style court said...

Glad you received the Adler book Pink :)

Amy said...

this is one of two posts i keep coming back to visit. i'll have to find this issue of WOI for the andy spade article. not that i need help feeding my vintage book obsession.

style court said...

Hey Amy,
Glad you like this one! FYI the World of Interiors feature was really about the Spade's apartment and Andy's love of art. It didn't focus on books, that I remember. Just don't want you to be let down when you see it :)