Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.25.2007

Paper To The Max II


Image above from Jonathan Adler's My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living


Gracie handpainted wallpaper based upon style SY-21, designed for Aerin Lauder as seen in Vogue January 2001.


Gracie wallpaper, SY-210, in Maggie Rizer's home as seen in Domino, April 2006

For some reason when I was little, I thought a big white ceramic dog would be the most elegant home accessory. Now that these are in vogue again and I could buy one for myself, I'm kind of over them -- although I think Adler's use of this dog by the door is adorable. What I do currently covet is wallpaper.

In a small entry -- or for those lucky enough to have one, a walk-in closet or dressing room -- I love to see every inch of wall surface papered including the backs of doors. This really creates that jewel box feeling.


Above, North Carolina decorator Barrie Benson's commitment-free alternative: one enormous framed piece of de Gournay chinoiserie paper is juxtaposed with mid-20th-century modern furniture, as seen in the February 2007 issue of Domino.

(This post is an update on the July 2006 post, Paper to the Max)

9 comments:

Elizabeth H. said...

I love those chairs.

Anna said...

So, so, so, so, so, so beautiful. I love the last picture - the mixture of the patterned wallpaper and the modern furniture. A beautiful post Courtney. I feel like I always say that to you but it's just so true - all your posts are just so beautiful. I am obsessed with waiting for your next post!! Love your work! Your friend, Anna!!

style court said...

Wow Anna! You are too kind design friend. I truly appreciate your interest and comments.
Many thanks!
Courtney

The Peak of Chic said...

Style Court- love the post. I'm beyond crazy for wallpaper. If I could, I would cover every surface with it.
PS- I also kept that article on Aerin Lauder's home- that was my favorite room in her house!

style court said...

Glad you liked this POC :)

Miss Priss said...

Okay- does anyone know the source for that green and white jonathan adler paper? I remember trying to find this a while back when his apartment in florida was first published. LOVE IT. Also- look up Fromental's papers- they are custom painted like de Gournay but have a little more edge/humor.

style court said...

Hi Miss Priss,just wanted to offer one more tip: if you use decoratorsbest.com or another source remember the pattern name is Lyford Trellis and the manufacturer is Quadrille. You may also see China Seas listed as the manufacturer. With decoratorsbest.com, just type Quadrille in the search box for best results.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I have just stumbled across your blog and have to say I'm thoroughly enthralled and have saved it as a fav! I have finally found someone with a similar passion for design and I'm so excited!

I too saved a copy of the picture from Aerin Lauders room in the hope of tracking this wallpaper down. I'm glad to know that there are more people like me out there in the world! I can't wait for your next post!

style court said...

Anonymous,
Thanks so much for your generous comments! I'm glad you visited and shared your thoughts. That Lauder room is amazing isn't it?
Cheers,
Courtney