Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.24.2007

Chair Interrupted



I've never given this surprisingly sturdy old Louis XV-style chair much of a chance to get comfortable in its own skin. I keep re-upholstering it. Since the chair is small and doesn't require much yardage, I can indulge in fabrics that would be too expensive for me on a larger project. (Today my current fabric obsession is still KWID's "Imperial Trellis" in Citrine.)

Although, I have to admit that sometimes I think this style chair looks its absolute best upholstered in a simple solid, like Mary McDonald's brown side chair below, photographed by Melanie Acevedo for House & Garden, November 2001.



If you're interested in re-inventing a chair, inspirational sites are Chair Couture and Blossom Home's Flickr page.

4 comments:

Wes said...

The chair itself is beautiful done in either fabric but im leaning more towards the citrine.

The Peak of Chic said...

To be honest, I think that Louis XV style chairs are so beautiful and versatile, they look great in both prints and solids. Can't wait to see the unveiling of the "new" chair :)

katiedid said...

Hhhhmmm. I can't decide. If you go with the KWID, a solid piping around the edges would be great!

style court said...

Katie,

Great idea.