Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.25.2007

Unapologetically Pretty








Unapologetically Pretty. Recently I saw that phrase used to describe an apartment. If only I'd been clever enough to think of those words when I named this blog last year. Well, at least I can create a regular feature using the headline. These rooms above, decorated by Emma Jane Pilkington, fit the category perfectly.

I love the liberal use of hand-blocked prints from Raoul Textiles. It's all sort of "Marie Antoinette goes to India." Photography by James Waddell for House & Garden, March 2006. (Click images to enlarge.)

12 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

All gorgeous photos- I love Pilkington's work. I think that for some, the word "pretty" has negative connotations, but I don't really understand why. I for one strive for my surroundings to be pretty!

Anna said...

BEAUTIFUL with a huge explanation mark!!! I LOVE these pictures - that pink dressing table is devine and the french chair upholstered in pink sitting against that Cole & Son wallpaper is breathtaking!! Thank you for posting these "unapologetically pretty" images!!

katiedid said...

Hi Courtney!
This is so funny! I was looking through some old magazines last night and saw a photo of this dining room and was thinking how pretty it was. I love this place!

Gypsy Purple said...

Oh wow...thank you for posting this...I just LOVED it....I also loved the hand-blockes prints!!!

a. said...

Love that pink dresser/desk/table!

style court said...

Anna and Gypsy,

I thought of you both when I posted these pictures :)

Gypsy Purple said...

Please see my blog for a mention of this pics

robyn said...

Love the flowers and colors of the rooms.

theovereducatedvalet said...

I think the phrase "Unapologetically Pretty" would make a terrific blog name. These pictures are beautiful. I've been crazy about the floral fabric on the back of the chair in the first photo ever since I saw it in a magazine (Elle Decor, I think) about a year ago. It's such a great mix of delicate feminine, bright, opulent-traditional, and something vaguely ethnic. Yum!

style court said...

Over-educated Valet,

Love your analysis of the fabric!!

purple said...

Lovely pictures, great blog!

style court said...

thanks purple!