Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.27.2007

Inspired By Films


Some consider 1991's Raise the Red Lantern to be among the most visually stunning films ever made. Image via Tong Chen.



In March I mentioned Miranda Brooks's bedroom, seen in Bright Young Things, and the inspiration she took from Raise the Red Lantern. Another visual feast, The Last Emperor, (Michael Smith's pick) has been discussed here too. But I wanted to share more weekend viewing ideas, so I asked film buffs Brilliant Asylum and Cote de Texas for suggestions. Here's a list of sumptuous movies filled with rich Asian color:

Indochine

Empire of the Sun

Farewell My Concubine

In the Mood for Love

Eat, Drink, Man, Woman

The Painted Veil

Memoirs of a Geisha

Lost in Translation

Seven Years in Tibet

Passage to India

A Little Princess

Brilliant Asylum also recommends any of the James Bond series filmed in Asia: You Only Live Twice and Octopussy. She read that Kelly Wearstler is inspired by James Bond movies too.

A reminder: Buddha in Paradise: A Celebration in Himalayan Art, opens October 13 and continues through November 25 at Emory's Carlos Museum. The exhibition honors the visit of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

9 comments:

Dargie said...

I had Curse of the Golden Flower recommended to me as a visual feast which it was. The story? Meh. But the look of it was amazing.

Cote de Texas said...

Lovely post Courtney and thanks so much for your all your support and kind words!!! I need to get the dvd warmed up.

Thanks again!
Joni

Brilliant Asylum said...

Ohh--A few I have not seen! Thanks for the suggestions (and the nice mention). Until I have the opportunity to visit Asia, these films keep me connected and inspired.

Great post!
: )
Millie

The Peak of Chic said...

Many of these I have not seen, so I look forward to viewing these soon! Thanks Courtney (and Joni and Millie) :)

Mélanie said...

Wonderful post . I love all these movies

robyn said...

Great information, thanks! have a nice weekend
Courtney :)

Style Court said...

Thanks Robyn! You too :)

Lucy said...

in the mood for love in insanely beautiful. maggie cheung's dresses alone are worth it.

-Suzie- said...

Great post and good idea to recommend some inspiring 'Asian' movies. I love Indichina with Catherine Deneuve in the beautiful landscape of Vietnam.

I have some more movies for you:

* The Lover (book by Maguerite Duras)

* The last Emperor (directed by Bertolucci)

* Crunching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

But the best for me: I live in Beijing. Lots of red lanterns around....

Greetings,
Suzie