Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.27.2007

Personal Art



For a while now I've been thinking about this Picasso-esque print done by my aunt in the 1970s, and soon I'll probably have it freshly matted and framed for a grouping in my guest room. It's a cliché I know, but personal art often is what gives a home soul. Southern Accents editor, Frances MacDougall, says that meaningful pieces in a bedroom let us know we aren't in a hotel.




Above, the highly eclectic and personal art collection of writer Frances Schultz speaks adventurous spirit. She and her designer-friend John Oetgen bent the rules a bit by hanging works directly over, and under, her dining room chair-rail. These photos were taken by Langdon Clay, I think in the 90s. Click to see details.



Albert Hadley's iconic New York apartment is filled with smaller works on paper given to him by dear friends (very talented friends.) His collection almost serves as a scrapbook of an incredible life.



The Costello loft, above, is also filled with a mix of interesting photography and drawings. Nearly all appear to be black-and-white or neutral, working so well with the room's palette of sea-foam blue, split-pea green, chocolate and maize yellow. Photo by Paul Costello for Domino, November 2005.

BTW: Small works are very versatile and are a great way to begin a collection. Suzanne Rheinstein recently told Domino she's a fan of student art "framed simply but not cheaply."

10 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

I love your aunt's print Courtney! Hope you'll show us photos of the grouping (once it's hung). I think that you're so right about personal art giving the house soul- it also gives insight into the personality of the homeowner.

robyn said...

My bedroom is the same color as the bottom photo walls, love these pics. Thanks Courtney :)

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - you are a lucky girl - your aunt's piece is wonderful. And, a personal thank you for the ED cover - I've been wanted to get the back issue, now I know which one it is!

Style Court said...

Oh good Mrs. B, glad to be of help :)

Style Court said...

Jennifer, Mrs. B. Robyn,

Thanks for all the positive comments. Always a help!

katiedid said...

Hi Courtney. The piece really does look Picasso-ish or perhaps Matisse-ish. I love it either way! I agree that a room really takes on much more personality with collected art.

Jackie Von Tobel said...

I agree, personal mementos are what make a house a home. I have had a myriad of meaningful pieces matted and framed for my clients including, their children's art work, birthday cards, post-it notes, even fortune's from fortune cookies. Almost anything looks classic and beautiful if properly framed.

Brilliant Asylum said...

What a great piece by your aunt. I love framing family artwork and have "works" by each of my grandmothers (neither of whom were professional artists).

I also love that you have the Frances Schultz dining room saved. That is one of the oldest tear sheets in my file (and yes, I do think it is from the 90's--dare I say early).

ALL THE BEST said...

Great post! To me it's these touches that makes a home interesting and unique!

Style Saves the World said...

I love shopping for student art and always try to check out when local colleges and grad schools are having open studio nights. I aim to pick up only works on stretched canvases - that way I don't need to buy frames!