Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.28.2007

Tartan Mania



In the 70s my mom wrapped Christmas gifts with plain craft paper and assorted taffeta tartan ribbons (at the time it was a fresh idea, something I think she saw in a store window.) Now there are online shops that sell strips of wool tartan "ribbon." This cozy wool texture could be really nice on a holiday package, whether contrasted with a metallic foil, soft tissue, or humble red craft paper.


Gwyneth in holiday plaid for Estee Lauder's very trad 2006 campaign.




The Scottish Weaver has an enormous selection of tartan ribbon.





Tartan: Romancing the Plaid, has been on my wish list for a few months (thanks to Coterie) but Domino's fun whirlwind tour through the history of plaid makes me want to nab a copy this week.



Above, that oft-posted, blurry but very cool shot of Mary McDonald wearing a glamorous tartan dress, flanked by her amazing bone pagodas.

Paper shown top is from Kate's Paperie, and the tags are available through Mrs. John L. Strong.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the Tartan Book! I hope it has images of Balmoral Castle inside - will add it to my wish list. KDM

Brilliant Asylum said...

Christmas is always an excuse for my family to break out the namesake "Stewart" plaid. It makes a great wrapping paper too.

Things That Inspire said...

I love this post!

Style Court said...

Thanks Sarah!

Anon, glad you like this one :)

Laura said...

I am loving the tartan right now. And I am so not a tartan girl! The gift wrap suite you created looks fantastic.

Style Court said...

Thanks Laura!