Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.25.2008

Blossoming Trend



In the March issue, Elle Decor gives its nod of approval to the return of lush garden florals. Exquisite cottons and linens covered with magnolias and peonies are highlighted.


Also featured in a Katie Ridder-designed residence, an embroidered headboard by one of my idols, Lisa Fine.


And the Elle Decor reader who wrote in to complain about the magazine's abundance of poufy "old lady hair-do" flower arrangements won't be pleased. Another one graces the cover. (I love it.)

BTW: The shop of another design hero, Peter Dunham's Hollywood at Home, made the March issue too.

Photography by William Waldron

12 comments:

a. said...

Love the second photo - fabulous!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I am a bitter wreck about my magazine delivery. I rushed to the mailbox yesterday, thrilled to see the folded over pages sticking from the slot. Hopes dashed as I realized it was Mr. Blandings's Wine Spectator. My domino subscription is in some kind of purgatory - it never arrives then they e:mail me constantly to see how I'm enjoying my subscription. Now Elle Decor is mocking me, too. Maybe today. Hope springs eternal.

suzannemarques said...

i totally remembered that letter. i love peonies! (i think that's what they are) i love big fat florals too... and tiny intricate ones as well.

Cemaya said...

Poufy old lady hair-do flower arrangements? Too funny! I have a hard time criticizing flowers. The bed is interesting. Looks like a wrought iron frame but the head board looks painted? upholstered? Any idea?

Style Court said...

Well, peonies are my favorite flower so you know I love these. Oh and the headboard is embroidered fabric :)

Brilliant Asylum said...

I have been wary of this returning trend, but I love the way these florals look against a french, linen-upholstered settee. Fresh and floral without being chintzy. I am breathing a sigh of relief.

Cote de Texas said...

I hear ya Mrs. B! I just saw this post and RAN to the book store. bought over $80 worth of magazines, no Elle, of course! Sat in my car and went through most of them - left 2/3 of them in the trash at the grocery store. uggghhhh I want my Elle Decor.

Topsy Turvy said...

It's frustrating! I have friends in town who get their subscriptions sometimes days before I do! Like Brilliant Asylum, I love those lush floral pillows against the austere background of the loft!

The Paris Apartment said...

Who could resist or complain about a pouffy bouquet of peonies? They're pure bliss!

Paola said...

The peonies are lovely. Not liking all the pouf-y old lady furniture though.

The Peak of Chic said...

I loved the Katie Ridder spread. And that headboard is quite beautiful!

Alkemie said...

Love the floral wallpaper and especially the living room on the Elle cover!!