Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.28.2008

Botanical Studies








Over the weekend I was revisiting my Chloe Warner tear sheets, thinking about how Warner successfully covered a swap-meet sofa with Lee Jofa's stately hand-blocked linen,"Eldon." Along the way, I uncovered other examples of lush florals.

Images one through four are from a March 2006 House & Garden story, produced by Carolina Irving, about venerable G.P & J. Baker's archive of printed fabrics. (Click pictures to enlarge and read text.)

Images five and six represent a page ripped from Southern Accents. I think in the 90s. To me, the pouf shown is just an iconic flower-laden piece. Maybe chintz. The room is sort of like a de-constructed Southern classic. Lighter than the '80s but still a bit grand.

Last of course is Warner's library as seen in domino, November 2007.

11 comments:

Mary-Laure said...

I've become obsessed with flowers as of late so this is just heaven sent! Just beautiful, thanks!

Style Court said...

Mary-Laure,

I'm so glad!

The Peak of Chic said...

The H&G article is one of my faves- the fabrics featured are gorgeous!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I love one big overblown floral in a room. Just one. So pretty. Thanks for these, I could look at fabric all day.

Bayou Contessa said...

Your ability to zero in on very nice florals is right on. The right floral used the right way is design magic-witness the wonderful
Warner sofa!

Cote de Texas said...

I love GPBaker linens - after Bennison, whenever I need a great linen - I head for Lee Jofa - they can not be beat!!!! I well remember that article from s.a!

And lastly - just noticed your wonderful new Profile page - congrats!!!

Style Court said...

Joni, if you endorse Lee Jofa, that says a lot for the high quality!

Style Court said...

Thanks Julie!

beachbungalow8 said...

i've always loved the botanical in a fabric. i have a little swatch that i've carried with me for years to try and find something like it. and guess what...it's that last photo!!! too weird!

Style Court said...

So cool Megan :)

ALL THE BEST said...

Great post Courtney!! I just love all of these photos. I like the lighter than the '80s but still grand look!