Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.31.2008

Feminine, Not Girlie


I'm in the middle of an upholstery project (when the fabric finally arrives I'll share more) and I've been pouring over those bedroom tear sheets again, observing the balance of "soft" furnishings with harder, leggy pieces. Among rooms that appeal, one common denominator I've noticed is a decidedly feminine -- yet absolutely not girlie -- quality. Below are bedrooms you've seen many times before. To me these are all graceful but never cloying.


Bedroom of domino's Creative Director, Sara Ruffin Costello.




Three bedrooms above designed by Ruthie Sommers.


Design above, Michael Smith.


Above, a dressing room by Schuyler Samperton. Below, a bedroom by Miles Redd, as seen in Elle Decor, November 2006, photograph by Simon Upton.



Interior design above by Southerner Barrie Benson, as seen at Domino online, photo by Justin Bernhaut.


An island escape by Nicholas Haslam, as seen in The Bedroom, published by Abbeville Publishing Group, 1995.


Top image of Aerin Lauder in her New York bedroom is from Bright Young Things, published by Assouline 2000. Photography copyright Jonathan Becker.

18 comments:

Bayou Contessa said...

Courtney,
I love that button-tufted sofa in the first picture. Any idea of the source? I love the distinction between feminine and all that that entails, without being "cloying".
Love this post!
Julie

Style Court said...

Hey Julie, thanks. Let me see if the book mentions if it's a vintage sofa or maybe custom.

Kathryn said...

I'm terrified of wallpaper, but every time I see it in a beautiful room I want it!

Style Court said...

The book does not give a source for Lauder's sofa, but try www.1stdibs.com (seach for curved sofa or French Moderne pieces.) At the other end of the spectrum, white tufted chaises are available through http://www.ballarddesigns.com.

Style Court said...

Kathryn, I know what you mean :)

Julie,
Also try www.mecoxgardens.com

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - I have two or three tear sheets of rooms with the bedskirt fabric in the last image. I like bedrooms that are a bit feminine -yet, you simply cannot ignore the ape sleeping next to you. Mr. B. puts up with so much, I simply cannot expect him to lay his weary head on flounces and frills. These rooms have the perfect balance.

Style Court said...

Patricia,

I'm glad you don't think these would be too much for Mr. B. I have to admit, they are still awfully femme :)

Barbara said...

Great post and very much how I decorate our bedroom.I like how the strict geometry in the Miles Redd room creates great balance with all the swooping curvy floral.Yin/Yang,indeedy :-)

Style Court said...

Great point about the Redd room Barbara, I totally agree.

erika said...

that 3rd image down. a bedroom by ruthie somers, do you know the source on that bedskirt fabric (green + white)!? I LOVE IT!
all is beautiful! great compilation!

Style Court said...

Erika, it sure looks like Peter Dunham's "Fig Leaf." I'll update this post with an image and link. In the meantime, visit www.peterdunham.com

Anonymous said...

Is it worth "Bright Young Things"? I mean: is that the only image of her bedroom, or the book shows the homes (hers one and the others) like a "House & Garden editorial" (all the room, I mean)?

Sorry for my English :b
Elena

Style Court said...

Hi Elena,

There is just one picture of Aerin's bedroom. Also there is a small image of her library, and there are views of her living room. It's the New York apartment from about 8 years ago.

So, not really like a House & Garden feature. But I guess fans of her style are glad to own the book. Maybe you can find it used? Hope that helps!

Suzy said...

My GOD, that image of Aerin Lauders room is to DIE for! How beautiful and serene are those colours, and the furniture is stunning!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Style Court said...

Suzy, you're welcome!

kayla said...

Hey girl, where is the couch from the first picture from? / Who makes it?

Style Court said...

Hi Kayla,

Sorry, no source :(

designindoor said...

wow,lovely room...

this one could be your consideration for your amazing post