Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.28.2008

Furniture in Film




Friendly reader Gail tells me that the clean-lined rush chair used in the 1953 film, How to Marry a Millionaire, also appeared one year later in the movie Three Coins In the Fountain. Jean Negulesco directed both pictures. I haven't seen either yet, but Gail says "the girls' charming Roman apartment (in Three Coins) is to die for."

As mentioned in the previous post, Peter Dunham now sells a "How to Marry a Millionaire" chair in his new store, Hollywood at Home, seen top in Elle Decor, March 2008.

5 comments:

girl meets glamour said...

I don't know if it's the same for you Courtney, but I can't watch a movie without pointing out furniture, fabrics, etc. I just watched Woody Allen's "Mighty Aphrodite" and saw the same Scalamandre zebra wallpaper from a recent post of yours...it annoys everyone that watches movies with me :)

Great post!!

~Kate

Style Court said...

Kate, yes I'm the same way! Now you've got me curious to see "Mighty Aphrodite."

LondonCalling said...

Me too! Recently saw the "Golden Compass". Say what you will about the controversy surrounding the film. But the rooms had a truely beautiful Art Nouveau quality. It was stunning set design.

Anonymous said...

I love the chair AND the striped fabric on the table. Do you know what the latter is?

Style Court said...

Hi Anon,

I don't know for certain but there is a list of fabrics (collections) sold at Dunham's store on the Hollywood at Home website along with contact info. It also could be vintage.