Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.30.2008

Strange Bedfellows




[Ignore the wall color above.]

What's up with my attraction to the disparate work of both Suzanne Rheinstein and Kelly Wearstler? Who knows. One thing is clear: I like this pairing of Rheinstein's "Palace Garden" floral with Wearstler's geometric "Imperial Trellis."


[Photo above by Gemma Comas for domino, January/February 2006.]

For a long time now, I've wanted an old-school headboard like domino's, above, to use in a guest room. This may not be an option in 2008. But if I do continue using the "Trellis" chair in a bedroom, I think the Rheinstein floral would one day be a timeless compliment to it.

Hope this inspires you to put together a few unexpected pairings of your own.

15 comments:

kristye said...

courtney, loving this look! i'm actually thinking of doing a fabric headboard in the masterbedroom...was looking at the ballard design style that gwyneth used in apple's room (different fabric of course)...do you have any other suggestions of places to search for one?
THANKS!

style & grace said...

courtney! Love that combination!! I only hope I can come up with such a strong combo for my living/dining room. Great job!

Style Court said...

Kelly, Kristye,

Thanks!

Kristye, for other headboards try William Sonoma home (more expensive than Ballard though) or ask a North Carolina upholsterer for prices, just to compare. Good luck!

ALL THE BEST said...

I LOVE the combo Courtney!!!

Style Court said...

Thanks Ronda!

M&Co said...

Thank you for this very inspiering post! Love the floral fabric on the pillow, and the fabric on the chair is stunning!

Style Court said...

M & CO

I'm so glad you liked it!

Suzy said...

I think they look lovely together!

Passementerie said...

It is indeed a fabulous combination that brings out what is wonderful about each print with just enough of a hint of common colour (in the mustardy yellow) to make putting them together not altogether outlandish - well done!

Style Court said...

P,
I like how you describe it! Thanks.

LondonCalling said...

Surprisingly perfect.

katiedid said...

You must do it! It looks wonderful together. As always, you have inspired me to get going on some projects at my house!

Style Court said...

Sweet of you to say Katie, thanks :)

girl meets glamour said...

I couldn't agree more Courtney! A lovely pairing is right!!

~Kate

The Peak of Chic said...

I'm with everyone else- very pretty and striking combination. You've got a "strong" graphic fabric mixed with a "softer" print.