Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.28.2008

The Year Was 2000


In the '90s an artistic friend of mine, who described herself as "living on the wrong side of the tracks," got me hooked on Elle Decor. Back then she could afford few things seen on the pages but she swore by the magazine as a great source for original ideas.

Elle Decor, October 2000, is an issue that stands out in my own mind. It was filled with stylish, soulful homes that really reflected the spirits of the owners. Christina Greeven (now Cuomo) was on the cover and her New York apartment was featured. I still love the caned sofa with the bright pillows. Click here for more glimpses of that residence.


Below, Elliott Puckette's Cobble Hill home -- shared with husband Hugo Guinness -- made the issue too. (For related information click the Puckette label at the bottom of this post.)






Many other innately chic women were included...


Above and below, the Seville home of Nati Abascal.


Below, Gloria Vanderbilt's home was described as autobiographical; filled with references to the famous relatives from which she once tried to distance herself. Note too the mix of opulent pieces with more humble American craft. There is a portrait of Vanderbilt with sons Carter and Anderson Cooper.




Princess Siki of Somalia, below, in the South of France.



Even Alexa Hampton's illustration of the late Bill Blass' home was in this issue. The magazine described it as "drop-dead" and one of the most stylish of our time.


Finally, for my fellow Charlie Rose fans, did you know he has been on the cover of Elle Decor? I'll see if I have the issue packed away. For more vintage tear sheets, click here.

12 comments:

kelleyp said...

must continue to search for all the back issues of house and garden, and elle decor at my used bookstores and at the local library. never know what gems you may find. just bought the book "inside Design" by Michael Greer for $3.00 at the librarys used book section.

Style Court said...

Kelley P -- I'll be on the lookout for that title. Thanks :)

Angela Lind said...

I have the same tearsheets! I am home design enthusiast. I am still trying to get into it as a career. Your should see my 2 giant pendaflex boxes filled with tearsheets, They are obsessive! Thanks for the post.

Style Court said...

Angela -- nice to hear from a kindred spirit!

Nicole said...

I am a huge fan of Gloria Vanderbilt and it was a real treat to her apartment. It's absolutely lovely.

I was wondering if there are any more pictures of her and, if so, would you mind uploading them? It would mean a lot to me as there really aren't many photos available of her these days...

Thank you!

Style Court said...

Hi Nicole. Glad you enjoyed this! I'll see if I still have more views of the apartment and try to add them in the next few days.

The Peak of Chic said...

Gosh, I don't know which image I like best- they're all beautiful! (Don't you just love going back through old magazines??)

Mélanie said...

I love all these interiors ! Yhey all have a style and they are all chic

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I just love that dressing room/closet image. So glam!

Anonymous said...

So ironic you should post about this. I was cleaning out 8+ years worth of design magazines this past weekend and came across the one with Rose and Burden on the cover. I'd be happy to scan and send the pages to you.

-Ryan

Style Court said...

Ryan,

Wow sounds like you had a huge project! Very generous offer. I would be most appreciative. Thank you so much.

stylecourt1@mac.com

Tokyo Jinja said...

Courtney- Just googling something and this old post of yours came up and made me laugh! That issue was one of my serious keepers too!
Happy New Year!