Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.27.2008

Cashin's Chinese Screen

I've mentioned Bonnie Cashin's graffiti wall a lot. Perhaps too many times. (It's a great idea!) But I've never highlighted her Chinese screen. The lush colors were splendid and served as the perfect backdrop for her sleek mid-century furniture. Below is a grainy image of Cashin in her New York apartment in the 1960s. A little something to satisfy everyone who craves more new episodes of Mad Men.



If you are not familiar with Bonnie Cashin, much of her visionary aesthetic, especially her color sense, can be seen today in the looks coming from J Crew. The bags below are circa 1968.



For a variety of Asian pieces, visit Pagoda Red.




Cashin images are from New York Times magazine, 2001

13 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

The image, top, make me throw caution to the wind on the garden seat. I've hesitated fearing its ubiquitousness, but it's such a classic and looks perfect in that mod room.

Style Court said...

I know. Right now, since so many of them are available through catalogs, people have been saying they are "last Tuesday." But I disagree. It's like a blue-and-white temple jar or pearls -- never out!

Ivy Lane said...

Really is perfection! I was just on Ebay the other day searching for a vintage Cashin bag! Last year I lost out in 2 bidding wars...she's still hot!!

Style Court said...

Ivy -- hope you score one soon!

Visual Vamp said...

I Heart Bonnie Cashin, and love that you post about her!
Jonathan Adler worships his muses in his book, and she's one of them for sure, and he has a couple of nice photos of her decor included in the book.
xo xo
PS Congrats on your very nice mention on page 44 of the Nov. issue of Domino!

ALL THE BEST said...

Courtney,
I love all of the images and you can never get enough of the graffiti wall!!

Style Court said...

VV -- yes Cashin and Adler seem in some ways like kindred spirits. Especially in terms of handmade, artisan things.

Thanks so much for the sweet comment! Appreciate it!

Style Court said...

Oh good Ronda -- glad to hear it! I hope others feel the same way :)

beachbungalow8 said...

omg, i love bonnie cashin!!! how amazing are all of those bags. such yummy colors. do we know what color that sofa is?

Style Court said...

megan -- i'll see if stephanie lake knows.

Erin Sledd said...

Like you, at this point in my life I'm more the girl with the books than the girl with the bags, but boy, I really want that hot pink Bonnie Cashin purse!

Style Court said...

Erin, I know :)

I'd like to see more of the one with fringe.

Sylvie said...

Hi Courtney,

Have you seen that film Married Life, with Pierce Brosnan and Patricia Clarkson? You might appreciate some of the design in it. Here's a still photo:
http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2008_married_life_001.html

xo Sylvie