Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.22.2008

One More Tip


In the next few days I plan to switch all my files over to a more powerful computer. Hopefully this won't interfere with posting, but in case it does, I want to leave you with one more relatively inexpensive tip from Albert Hadley and Sister Parish.

It's been said that, more than any other 20th century decorators, Sister and Albert dedicated themselves to good housekeeping. According to Parish-Hadley: Sixty Years of American Design, when Sister pulled up to a new site in her station wagon, she often went straight to the client's hall closet or mudroom. She wanted to know how the gears of the house were running, and she was known to say, "The linen closet is too small. What we need is a linen room."

 
"In Mrs. Parish's linen rooms, squares of cardboard covered in pretty patterned wallpaper are inserted between napkins and placemats of different color or design, so that if you want to use the pink ones at the bottom of the stack, they can be removed without disturbing the others."

I'm sure Eddie Ross has similar dividers in his closets!

The linens shown above are from Leontine, and the wallpaper is from Walnut. The image of Albert and Sister is from Parish-Hadley: Sixty Years of American Design.

9 comments:

Karena said...

Such a good tip, how pretty and practical!

Brilliant Asylum said...

Amen. 50% of good interior design is housekeeping--and it is usually the least expensive part of the puzzle.

Good luck with your overhaul.

Style Court said...

Karena -- glad you think so too :)

Millie -- thanks!

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

I would add that you might want to use foamcore or something acid free. I have beautiful napkins and placemats (esp. the holiday ones) that are many years old and cardboard will eventually discolor fabric it comes in contact with as would the wallpaper if it's not acid-free.

I love the idea, though, as I am always messing up my stacks of napkins. And now you've provided a solution. Thanks.

Good luck with the switchover. Typepad just made some changes and it took me 3 days to figure out how to redo my photos to make them import properly! Upgrades never are simple.

Style Court said...

Ms. Wis -- excellent point about the acid free issue. Some people, like you, do have precious textiles.

Hopefully I won't have any huge problems with the change! Thanks for your comments.

Stacy McCallum said...

Wonderful Monogram examples, we just moved to the Southeast and feel like we have entered Monogram Heaven! Fun!

Style Court said...

oh stacy yes, many monograms down here :)

beachbungalow8 said...

i love a great monogram. leontine does the best i've seen.

Janet said...

An excellent tip...as I organize my new linen drawer. Oh, how I wish I had a linen room!