Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.17.2011

Giving Again

 [Photo my own]

I'm kind of jazzed because the snowy white camellias on my patio are actually blooming. 
[Tarlow vase images via LACMA]

At eight-inches tall, Rose Tarlow's ivory ceramic vase with crackle finish would mostly likely work with a longer branch -- not a single camellia stem -- but I wanted to highlight it today since it's such a great museum gift shop find.

In conjunction with the award she was given by LACMA's Decorative Arts and Design Council (DADC), Tarlow created this classic little vessel; only 350 will be made and a portion of its proceeds will be donated by Tarlow's Melrose House to the DADC. (Last year, Tarlow was recognized by DADC for her accomplishments as a designer, educator, fine furnishings maker and author.) It costs just under $90.

And more gift ideas: if you find yourself in Atlanta the first weekend in December, check out Hope for the Holidays at The Art House. Proceeds from sales of ceramics, glass, fine art and other works by more than 100 Georgia artists will benefit five non-profits that serve abused, neglected and homeless children: The Atlanta Mission, Children's Restoration Network, CHRIS Kids, Jerusalem House, and Sheltering Arms Early Education & Family Centers.

5 comments:

redbrickbuilding said...

I just wanted to leave a note to tell you how much I'm enjoying your blog lately. I especially loved the Christmas card posts and the posts about good books to give as Christmas gifts. You're making me want to learn more about so many decorative arts subjects.

Style Court said...

RBB -- yeah! I really appreciate your input. Thanks so much. Enjoy the exploring!

Elsbeth said...

Hi! I like to chime in on that - you have been posting such wonderful things. A few of my favourites are the book-cum-exploration gift ideas, and the Doris Duke stories.
And congratulations with the camellia flowers!

pve design said...

Lovely vessel from Rose. She is amazing. I am in a white phase and loving anything and everything white, pearly and simple. What a perfect gift for myself. I can also think of many who would love this.

Style Court said...

Elsbeth -- thank you, thank you!

PVE -- this would be a perfect gift for you. White can be so appealing in December.