Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.15.2012

Still on the Same Wave Length

[Detail of Indian Zag in Lake. Photo my own.]

Lately, I've been studying Suzanne Rheinstein's print Indian Zag.


It has so much presence from a distance.

[Another detail of Indian Zag in Honey. Photo my own.]

But I think it's even more interesting up close. The smaller, wave-like zig-zags, the droplets, and the layer cake of patterns make me flash back to an old Indian bracelet I saw at the Carlos in the summer of 2010. When Gold Blossoms: Indian Jewelry from the Susan L. Beningson Collection was on view in Atlanta then.

[Gold bracelet; Tamil Nadu; 19th century. From the Michael C. Carlos Museum exhibition catalog When Gold Blossoms: Indian Jewelry from the Susan L. Beningson Collection.]

The beautiful exhibition of fine, mostly South Indian pieces from the 17th through 19th centuries has been traveling for many years now. Readers in Asia will be happy about the next stop: Hong Kong. More than 150 exquisitely crafted objects will be at the Asia Society Hong Kong Center September 26, 2012 through January 6, 2013. Read about the past Atlanta visit here.

5 comments:

tokyojinja.com said...

Readers in Asia? I might actually be able to make it over to this one! And you are posting late on a Sunday night....

Stephanie said...

The Indian Zag is outstanding! I think I'm in love. You're always so reliable for finding such treasures. Thanks.

Style Court said...

Stephanie -- thank you! Happy you like it.

Jacqueline -- I'm still amazed to hear from readers on the other side of the globe :) Hope you can catch the show. You'll love it.

Blue said...

The Indian Zag looks better on screen than it did when I took a memo home from Lee Jofa. Perhaps it was a trick of the light, but I found the execution and the color lacking subtlety. Did not work at all in my place.

Style Court said...

Hi Blue -- I suppose light and setting do greatly change how we experience fabric. I lived for a few days with memos of the Indigo, Lake, and Honey and found them to be nicely nuanced in my living room -- the softness I was hoping for. Perhaps this was due to all of my natural light, or maybe just my personal preference for these particular shades. (I shared a few more views on Instagram.)